Our everyday lives have become more and more sedentary during the last few years. Sitting many hours per day is definitely the worst thing we can do to our body. Lack of exercise has been linked to heart disease, diabetes and other significant health problems. So what can we do about it? The best solution is to pick up a sport! And what can be a more enjoyable sport than cycling! Here are some advantages of this great form of exercise:
- Cycling reduces weight: cycling helps you burn calories, increases your metabolic rate and reduces the percentage of fat in your body.
- Cycling is one of the easiest and cheapest ways to exercise: cycling doesn’t require a membership at your local gym or expensive kit. You just need your own bicycle and you can exercise whenever you feel like.
- Cycling is good for your heart: it has been proven that cycling reduces the risk of heart disease, improves cardiovascular stamina and gives you a stronger heart.
- Cycling is good for your muscles: cycling improves your muscle tone and helps build up muscle in all your body.
- Cycling increases your lifespan: people who engage daily in cardiovascular exercise (for example cycling, walking, running) live longer and healthier.
- Cycling is good for your mental health: cycling on a daily basis can help you reduce your stress levels, boost your mood, increase your concentration span and sleep better.
- Cycling improves coordination: in contrast to what most people think cycling doesn’t involve only the legs. Cycling helps coordinate the whole body including the torso, back and arms
Start slowly and then gradually increase your speed and the distance you are cycling. To keep you motivated ask some friends to join you and cycle together! Also don’t forget your head gear, kneed pads and elbow pads to make your bike trip safer. Grab your sneakers and enjoy the ride!