Dietitians underline all the time how important it is to drink water. But why is it so? The truth is that we often forget to drink water or we replace it with high sugar beverages. This often leads to dehydration and tiredness. Drinking plenty of water can help us prevent all these symptoms and give us better health. Here are some good reasons why it is important to drink enough water every day:
- Drinking water helps the digestive system work properly. In combination with consuming food rich in fiber it can be an excellent way to avoid constipation and ensure the good functioning of the gastrointestinal system.
- Drinking water helps our kidneys work properly.The role of our kidneys is to clean our body from toxins and remove all the unnecessary byproducts. In order to do that they need adequate amount of water.
- In sharp contrast to high calorie drinks, water has no additives or sugar. Therefore, replacing a high calorie beverage with water can help us stay fit.
- Drinking sufficient amount of water can reduce the risk of heart attack. According to scientific studies, people who drink more than 5 glasses of water per day have 40% less possibilities of having a heart attack.
- Drinking water can make your skin look better. If you drink a lot of water on a daily basis you can see the results on your skin within a week.
- Drinking water can reduce the risk of colon and bladder cancer. Water helps the body to remove toxins thus making these organs less susceptible to illness.
- Water can also improve our general well-being. As we drink more water, the levels of oxygen rise in our blood and this leads to better circulation and higher levels of energy.
In light of all the above, we realize why it is so important to drink plenty of water every day. Carrying a bottle of water with us and reminding ourselves to drink a bit every 1-2 hours is a great way to increase our water intake. Our body is our home and taking care of it should be one of our highest priorities.